Staff Mentoring Program (SMP)
The Rutgers Health Staff Mentoring Program (SMP) was launched in January 2021 as a pilot program. The goals of the program are to promote a culture of mentorship, professional development, and collaboration among staff members.
This year-long program has two pathways for engagement: traditional mentoring and peer-to-peer mentoring. The traditional mentoring pathway pairs early to mid-career professionals with higher-level staff mentors. The peer-to-peer mentoring pathway pairs professionals together. Both pathways foster professional development and career growth while building networks across Rutgers Health.
Mentor and mentee pairs are required to meet at least once per month during the duration of the program. The program also includes monthly development sessions on goal setting, difficult conversations, negotiation skills, and more.
Interested staff members should complete the application by November 10, 2023.
The program directors are staff who support the Staff Mentoring Program and participants by developing the program topics, reviewing program applications, matching pairs, checking in with mentoring partners throughout the year, and providing input and suggestions for improving the program.
Felicia LeSure, MSOD, Director, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
Tynisha Coleman, ACC, MCRP, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Inclusion and Development, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
Monthly Activities (2024)
- Wednesday, Jan 10th, 11:30am-1pm | Program Orientation with Felicia LeSure
- Wednesday, Jan 24th, 11:30am-1pm | Being an Effective Mentor and Mentee with Tynisha Coleman
- Thursday, Feb 1st, 11:30am-2pm | Q&A Session with Program Co-Directors (optional session)
- Wednesday, Feb 21st, 11:30am-1pm |Strengths Based Development and Debrief of Strengths Assessment with Dr. Richard Dool
- Wednesday, Mar 13th, 11:30am-1pm | Goal Setting with Dr. Sangeeta Lamba and Tynisha Coleman
- Thursday, Apr 18th, 4:30pm-6:30pm | Networking and Refreshments in Newark (in person)
- Wednesday, Apr 24th, 11:30am-1pm | UHR Resources at Rutgers University
- Thursday, May 2nd, 12pm-1pm | LinkedIn and Your Personal Brand (optional session)
- Wednesday, May 22nd, 11:30am-1pm | Difficult Conversations with Dr. Brent Ruben and Dr. Christine Goldthwaite
- Wednesday, Jun 12th, 12pm-2pm | Luncheon in New Brunswick (in person)
- Wednesday, Jul 10th, 11:30am-1pm | Negotiation Skills
- Wednesday, Sept 25th, 12pm-1pm | Peer Support Session on Communication with Dr. Christine Goldthwaite (optional session)
- Wednesday, Nov 6th, 12pm-1pm | Peer Support Session on Self-Care and Wellness (optional session)