Minority Faculty Recruitment and Retention
At the request of Chancellor Strom, Provosts Jeff Carson and Bob Wieder in early 2017 convened the RBHS Committee on Best Practices for the Recruitment and Retention of Minority Faculty. The committee worked to identify best practices and give targeted recommendations to make RBHS truly representative of New Jersey, our very diverse State.
In Spring 2017, the committee issued its report to the Chancellor. The Chancellor’s Message on Diversity and Inclusion outlines the committee’s recommendations to enhance our ability to recruit and retain faculty who reflect the diversity of our state.
Minority Faculty Recruitment and Retention Committee
- Committee goals — Develop Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) processes and environment for increasing the recruitment and retention of faculty from underrepresented groups
Steps to achieving goals
- Survey schools and create an RBHS-wide accounting of the number of underrepresented faculty in each School and Institute
- Identify existing processes and initiatives to recruit and retain underrepresented faculty
- Identify existing processes and programs throughout United States institutions that are effective in recruiting and retaining underrepresented faculty
- Generate novel ideas and recommendations that will likely be effective in RBHS to recruit and retain underrepresented faculty
- Generate a report to the Chancellor with specific recommendations